Monday, November 5, 2012

Novela Royalty.

My mother has always been ahead of the times, weather calculated or simply Maybeline-born-with-it, she is always ahead of the trends. Back in the late 80's after having conquered the world of banking and fitness, and birth giving, she decided to become a television star. You see, my mother is ever changing and when she decides to make changes its all or nothing.

Unlike the starlets of the day, she was not about to do the usual "casting couch"in order to get in. Nope, not her. She devised a plan so well orchestrated you'd think she was a Russian spy. Never one to burn bridges she uses her resources well and her Rolodex at the time was as intriguing as Heidi Fleiss's black book. During her bank manager days (and not by mistake) she took over a branch in one of Mexico City's most affluent areas. TV stars, old money, new money, CEOs, the type of people who give Chanel jewelry and bottles of Dom for Christmas to their banker/financial advisor -and so they did-. This gave her everyday contact with agents, actors, managers and thus the said Rolodex became to be.

The first step in her plan was to contact her uncle Quito. Quito was my grandmother's only remaining sibling. He looks like Salvador Dali with a couple of extra pounds, intimidating as hell and a man of VERY few words. More importantly, Quito at the time owned a very influential/scandalous newspaper in Monterey. His newspaper was known for exposing the truth and dirty laundry of politicians, lawyers, judges and the occasional coke overdose. L.A. Confidential Mexi style. Quito agreed to give my mother a press pass on the sole condition that she would always wear high heel shoes to the events. Whatever, between the press pass and the million dollar Rolodex the heels were just the beginning.

Her first assignment was to cover the Palmas de Oro awards. Sort of like the Latin Oscars but with more sequence. Way before Angelina was sucking on her brother's face at the Oscars, my mother took her role as "scandal" journalist very seriously and took her brother as her date.  I remember it all so well, the gold lame dress, the gold pumps, the coiffed do, the accessories -which I picked, and I'm never wrong-. The evening was just what she had planned and TV stardom was within reach. Soon after, the calls began. She got parts in numerous soaps and TV ads, she even tried to get me into a few commercials. At first it was exciting but once at the casting calls I found it hard to act excited about laundry detergent or a hypoallergenic broom. In any case, her brief TV career was great. I got front row seats to the hottest shows and the not so hot such as Disney on Ice, a show nonetheless. I got to see my mother on TV which got me brag rights at school, but most important, I got to see her realize one of her dreams and that is priceless like MasterCard.

Whenever I bring it up she quickly changes the subject. Very modest and always a lady. However, I will take credit and forever be Novela Royalty (by proxy).

No comments:

Post a Comment